Home » Data and Statistics » Statewide Statistics » Statewide Teen Court Statistics – FY 10

Statewide Teen Court Statistics – FY 10

General Statistics for Maryland Teen Courts*
Total Cases Adjudicated FY 10** 1080
Total Successful Completions FY 10 963
Completion Rate FY 10 89.17%
Community Service Hours Completed 27386
Total Youth Volunteers (Former Respondents) 1173 (178)
Service Learning Hours Earned*** 12694
Adult Volunteers 126

*These statistics are based on the totals reported from the Teen Courts in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore City, Caroline County, Charles County, Montgomery County, Queen Anne’s County, and St. Mary’s County for Fiscal Year 2010
**Cases Adjudicated is the number of Teen Court hearings that took place this year. Successful Completions is the number of respondents who complete the assigned sanctions within the allocated time period.
***Maryland requires high school students to complete 75 hours of “Service Learning” activities as a prerequisite for graduation. Teen Court youth jurors earn Service Learning hours each time they volunteer.

FY10 Cases by Type: Though it varies by county, Possession of Marijuana and Theft make up a large part of Maryland’s Teen Court cases, accounting for nearly 50% between them.
MD Teen Courts FY10 - Cases by Type

FY10 Respondent Age: Maryland’s Teen Courts accept respondents between 11 and 17 years of age, but most respondents fall on the older end of the spectrum.
MD Teen Courts FY10 - Respondent Age

FY10 Respondent Gender: The majority of juveniles in the Teen Court program are males. A 60-40 split is consistent across almost all of Maryland’s Teen Courts.
MD Teen Courts FY10 - Respondent Gender

FY10 Respondent Race: 85% of Teen Court respondents are either Caucasian or African American, with the remaining 15% being split between other groups.
MD Teen Courts FY10 - Respondent Race

FY10 Volunteer Age: 90% of Teen Court volunteers are in high school, though from the high rate of freshman and sophomore volunteers, it seems as though many Teen Court volunteers are working on finishing their required Service Learning hours early.
MD Teen Courts FY10 - Volunteer Age

FY10 Volunteer Gender: The youth volunteers in Maryland’s Teen Court system are split almost exactly between young men and young women.
MD Teen Courts FY10 - Volunteer Gender